Tuesday, May 15, 2012

My Running Buddy

A quick note ~ We received about an inch of rain over the weekend – your prayers were answered!! Thank you for your faithful request. ☺ We are blessed and thankful but also look forward to more.

Living 30 miles out in the country, with the closest neighbor about 10 miles away, it’s challenging to find the motivation to go jog without a friend. The day we got home from our honeymoon, RA and I decided we were going to jog every evening. We quickly discovered that his legs are much longer than mine and we don’t stay together. Jogging every evening together lasted for a total of one time.

Since I’m not a huge fan of running alone, I want to introduce you to my running buddy.


We’ve had Gus since March and he is turning into a fine ranch dog. He guards the yard from birds and keeps the back steps from levitating. And his best quality – we stay together when we jog (although it is more of a brisk walk for him).

I’ve never been much of an athlete but I enjoyed cross country and track for a few years in high school until it started cutting in to my time with show animals. All through college and the year since I’ve graduated (it’s hard to believe a full year has almost gone by!), I’ve wanted to work out but could never stick with a routine.

Over the past few months, however, I’ve been more focused on getting fit. Note that I said “get fit” rather than lose weight. I’ve been the same weight since I was about a freshman in high school so I don’t anticipate a huge change there. I would rather incorporate healthy eating habits and a regular workout routine into my lifestyle rather than just meeting a single goal.

My workout: 10 minute jog without stopping two or three times a week. Now, if you are an experienced runner, this probably sounds really simple, but simple is working great for me at this point in my working out career. A very special friend of mine ran cross-country in college and is my “running mentor.” She and her husband and currently expecting but after their little one arrives in October, we are going to train for a few races. The 10 minutes is starting to get easier and I plan to move up to 15 minutes soon. My focus isn’t really on distance right now but simply getting my body “up to speed.”

Check back next week for insight into a 90-mile commute to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment