Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Love & Bulls

With it being the season for cattle sales, I think it is only appropriate to announce that I have found my prize bull.

Referring back to my column, Bulls & Boys, published last February, “The cattle industry has taught me a lot about life. Everything from responsibility to life and death, cattle are good teachers. In a conversation with my dad, I discovered that dating is a lot like finding a good herd bull.”

I would like to fill you in on a very special person in my life. RA Brown is the most amazing, kindhearted person I’ve ever met.

I’ve always held very high standards for the guys I dated. That is probably the reason that most of my past relationships lasted for two months maximum. I’m a firm believer in culling them quick if they don’t perform to the set standards.

But RA is different. We met in January but didn’t see each other again until March when he happened to be around Wellington helping work cattle and I happened to be home for Spring Break. We spent time together at the Texas & Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association convention in Fort Worth later that week and then he visited me in Lubbock while passing through on his way home from a college rodeo the next weekend.

There was something intriguing about him and that was the fact that I couldn’t figure him out. He wasn’t like the typical rodeo cowboy or even the typical guy for that matter.

In April, he went skydiving with me. It wasn’t until a few weeks after our jump that I found out that he was scared of heights!


He’s my best friend. He is the one that I can’t wait to talk to in the evenings. He is the one that just gives me a big hug when I’m upset because I got food poisoning on his birthday. He is the one that reminds me to simply do my best and God will take care of the rest. He is the one that makes my cheeks hurt because I smile every time I think of him.

I am excited about our future together and all that God has in store for us. I just hope that my dad didn’t drill him too hard on his EPD’s and Gene Star DNA scores!

2 comments: