Thursday, October 15, 2009

Listening

While sitting in the Student Union Building one day, waiting for my next class to start, I flipped through my student planner. It includes information about Texas Tech and various other important facts that college students may need to know.

The Listening Skills section caught my attention. The following is what the Texas Tech University Sophomore Year Experience planner says about listening:

“Listening (unlike hearing, which is a physical process not requiring thinking) gives meaning to the sounds you hear. It helps you understand. Listening is an active process that requires concentration and practice. In learning, the instructor’s responsibility is to present information; the student’s responsibility is to be “available” for learning. Not listening means you will be unable to learn the material.”

I had never thought about the difference between listening and simply hearing. When we listen, we engage our brain and actively understand. We may be storing new thoughts away or linking new points with old knowledge.

Do you truly listen to your daily conversations? What about truly listen to lyrics in songs? Do you truly listen and engage your brain in church?

I am guilty of sitting in class, hearing the lecture, and my mind is a million miles away from the subject being discussed. I have learned that in order for me to focus and listen, I have to take notes. Therefore, when I’m in church, I take a little notebook with me and take notes. My notes are a nice reference to be able to go back and mediate over. Also, I enjoy looking back and remembering what God pointed out to me that day.

This week God has put listening heavy on my heart. The verse that keeps coming to my mind is- Be still, and know that I am God (Psalm 46:10).

In the next few days, I look forward to spending quality time with God and simply listening to Him. I’m going to work on making an active effort to hear what He has for me.

The words ‘listen’ is mentioned 413 times in the New International Version of the Bible. I believe that God gave us two ears and one mouth for a reason!

Happy Trails and God Bless!

To contact Kristen with questions or comments, email her at kristen_odom@hotmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment