Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Greatest Man of the East

In the land of Uz there lived a man whose name was Job. This man was blameless and upright; he feared God and shunned evil. He had seven sons and three daughters, and he owned seven thousand sheep, three thousand camels, five hundred yoke of oxen and five hundred donkeys, and had a large number of servants. He was the greatest man among all the people of the East. (Job 1:1-3)

It sounds to me like Job had quite a bit going for him!

One day the angels came to present themselves before the Lord, and satan also came with them. The Lord said to satan, “Where have you come from?”

Satan answered the Lord, “From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it.”

Then the Lord said to satan, “Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil.”

“Does Job fear God for nothing?” satan replied. “Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. But stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face.”

The Lord said to satan, Very well, then, everything he has is in your hands, but on the man himself do not lay a finger.”

Job’s oxen and donkeys were captured and the servants killed. Fire fell down from the sky and burned the sheep and the servants. The camel herd was carried off and the servants put to the sword. His children were feasting and drinking and a mighty wind swept in from the desert and the house collapsed.

At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell in worship and said: “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked I will depart. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised.”

In all this, Job did not sin by charging God with wrongdoing.

I want to be like Job! One really cool thing that stands out to me in addition to his faith in God is that God knew he could handle the trials. I encourage you to read the rest of the book of Job and reflect on his loyalty to God and remember when your going through a tough time to praise the name of the Lord.

To contact Kristen, email her at kristen_odom@hotmail.com or send a letter to The Wellington Leader, Attn: Kristen’s Corner, Box 992, Wellington, TX 79095.

Happy Trails & God Bless!

1 comment:

  1. Love IS the most powerful choice one will ever make in their life. Chosing to love someone no mater what their faults bring, is a powerful choice. One often times forgets what it is like to love someone. My wife chose to love me even though I never showed it as she needed. I chose to show it in a way that I wanted. What did it get me? In the end an empty house with walls full of memories. There isn't one night that goes by that I don't reflect on who I am and who I should be as a man, father, and husband. There isn't one night that goes by that I don't reflect on the pain that I have caused my family, and there isn't one night that goes by that I don't cry.

    Emptiness is almost as strong as love. As I heal myself, I have found that the one who can fill the voids in my life until I can have my wife back is the LORD. It has taken me almost 9 years of marriage (of which I single handly destroyed) to realize how much I needed the Lord in my life. Thanks to my wife's grandfather for bring me back to the Lord and setting me on the track to recovery. Many days I sat in an empty house with and empty stomach, and felt so empty. The Lord has help fill me with the strengh I need to get through each day.

    I will end with this. If you are a man looking for the promise of hope or a promise of a wonderful god loving woman. Or are in a marriage headed on the wrong path (or the right path) please do me this favor. Listen to this advice of the most powerful christian song on the radio today. This is what my wife was looking for and I had no Idea until it was too late. Don't be me tomorrow. Be renewed in the eyes of your maker. Remember he is a jealous god. He wants your love and attention. Become the words of this song. God Bless and become a great husband.


    I look around and see my wonderful life
    Almost perfect from the outside
    In picture frames I see my beautiful wife
    Always smiling
    But on the inside, I can hear her saying...

    “Lead me with strong hands
    Stand up when I can't
    Don't leave me hungry for love
    Chasing dreams, what about us?

    Show me you're willing to fight
    That I'm still the love of your life
    I know we call this our home
    But I still feel alone”

    I see their faces, look in their innocent eyes
    They're just children from the outside
    I'm working hard, I tell myself they'll be fine
    They're in independent
    But on the inside, I can hear them saying...

    “Lead me with strong hands
    Stand up when I can't
    Don't leave me hungry for love
    Chasing dreams, but what about us?

    Show me you're willing to fight
    That I'm still the love of your life
    I know we call this our home
    But I still feel alone”

    So Father, give me the strength
    To be everything I'm called to be
    Oh, Father, show me the way
    To lead them
    Won't You lead me?

    To lead them with strong hands
    To stand up when they can't
    Don't want to leave them hungry for love,
    Chasing things that I could give up

    I'll show them I'm willing to fight
    And give them the best of my life
    So we can call this our home
    Lead me, 'cause I can't do this alone

    Father, lead me, 'cause I can't do this alone

    Sanctus Real - “Lead Me”


    Chose to fight, chose to change, and chose to the love them. That is your life. Nothing will define more than your family. Do it right. Thats want I want to do, and I pray every day and every night that I can have one more chance.

    ReplyDelete