Monday, August 2, 2010

Searching for Meaning

Where do you search for significance? What do you look to for meaning?

As a college student, it’s so easy to get caught up searching for organizations and job titles that will make us stand out from the rest of our peers.

Sometimes it’s clothes and brands that we seek – we have to have to be in on the latest fashion trend.

Then, one of the biggest ways we search for significance is when we try to find meaning from others.

I believe this is where we have it all wrong. We try to find self worth when we have lots of friends, or we have to be in a relationship to feel complete.

My older brother and I have in depth conversations about theories we have in life. One of mine is – You have to know who you are and be content with yourself before you can be in a healthy relationship (both with friends and a significant other).

Think about it, if you depend on someone else (a human) for your happiness, they are going to let you down eventually. That’s just part of being imperfect.

BUT, if we put our hope in Christ – striving to have your meaning in Him, life will truly have meaning.

And what better way to find meaning that in the One who created you?

Psalm 139 says, (v.1-2) O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.

(v. 13-14) For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

(v. 17-18) How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand. When I awake, I am still with you.

Take some time and think about where you find significance. Where do you search for meaning? What are you defined by? Do you know who you are?

Visit with a good friend; discuss your thoughts on these questions and encourage each other to strive for significance in Christ.

To contact Kristen, email her at kristen_odom@hotmail.com or send a letter to The Wellington Leader, Attn: Kristen’s Corner, Box 992, Wellington, TX 79095.

Happy Trails & God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment