Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Oh Happy Day!

Life is grand! I’ve graduated from Texas Tech University with a 3.83 GPA in three years, I have my dream job of writing for cattle magazines and I get to marry my best friend is three months! Life should be perfect, shouldn’t it?

Each of these things – graduating college, having a job and getting married – are all goals that I have been working toward my entire life. It’s almost a surreal feeling to have everything within my reach. I can fully enjoy each of these things now, but a few weeks ago, I was in a different boat.

During the spring semester I was enrolled in 24 credit hours, part of which counted towards my internship with Certified Angus Beef. I was a teaching assistant for an agricultural communications writing class where I had 94 students. In addition to that, I was the editor of my capstone Agriculture Publications class where we produced a 72-page magazine.

Through going to class, doing homework, studying for tests, editing articles and layouts, writing news releases and grading projects, God got lost in my schedule. My infrequent prayers usually revolved around asking for help to complete my long ‘to do’ list or that my brain would absorb a months worth of statistics notes in five minutes.

It hit me during finals week as a lay in bed thinking about how fast time has flown by. I remember going into the semester with God as my number one, knowing that I wouldn’t survive the next few months without Him guiding my steps. I don’t know when it happened, but I got the mindset that my way and my scheduling was better than His.

It hurts my heart to even think about how I placed God on the backburner to the things of this world. I got so busy and wrapped up in what I wanted and thought I needed to do that I lost my focus.

It seems that it is a slow fade – we miss a prayer or a devotional. The next day, we miss it again and before we know it, a week has gone by. Then we remember to say thanks here and there and pick up our Bible for a verse or two, but heartfelt love isn’t present.

I’m so thankful that we have a loving God who welcomes His lost children back with open arms.

How are things with you and God? Where is your focus? Who, or rather, what, is your number one?

Give meaning to your life – spend time with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment