Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Kristen’s Corner is Back

I, Kristen Odom, will be writing my weekly column from Lubbock while attending Texas Tech University.

To give you a little update over the past year and a half - I was a student at West Texas A&M University, in Canyon, for the fall and spring semesters majoring in Agriculture Communications. While at school, I worked at The Canyon News in the advertising department. For the summer, I lived at home, in Wellington.

The days of not having to make my own decisions are not too far in my past. I definitely enjoy the freedom of deciding where and what I do for meals and how late I can stay out with my friends, but the decisions that can have a major impact on my future can be tough!

The decision to go to Texas Tech was very difficult. After graduation from high school, I had my plans to go to WTAMU and did not even apply anywhere else.

I had a blast in my classes and learned so much at WTAMU. I met some amazing friends and had great professors. However, there were little things that God showed me that let me know that it was not where I was supposed to spend the next few years.

After weighing the pros and cons and guidance from God, I made the decision to transfer to Texas Tech University. Tech is known to have an outstanding Agriculture Communications program and I look forward to all the knowledge that I will gain in the next few years.

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11.

I’m amazed at how fast June, July and August have flown by! Thinking back over the summer in Wellington, it has been one I will never forget!

My activities included teaching at The Opportunity Center, being the youth leader for the Methodist Church in Wellington and McLean, taking a college algebra class and doing some freelance writing.

Look for Kristen’s Corner in the following weeks to read about my adventures at West Texas A&M, being a teacher and a youth leader, skydiving and life at college.

To contact Kristen with questions or comments, please email her at kristen_odom@hotmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment