Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Opportunity Center

While working on a homework assignment this past week, I realized how proud I am to call Wellington my home.

For the assignment, we were given a 3X5 index card. It had to have our name, hometown and one other thing that helped describe us on it.

For my “one other thing” I used a picture of a cross against a blue clear sky.

My reason for putting this cross is because I truly believe, with all my heart that no matter what trials or tribulations we face in this life, God is right there beside us. He will never leave us or forsake us. He leads, guides and directs us. He is the source of my joy.

Romans 8:31B, 35-39 says, If God is for us, who can be against us? Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?

As it is written: “For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels or demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

While thinking of my hometown, The Opportunity Center came to mind.

As I wrote last week, I worked at The Opportunity Center this summer as a teacher for the 4th and 5th grade class. Wellington is extremely fortunate to have such an amazing program.

One of my favorite memories was when we went to Pioneer Park. We picked up trash after the 4th of July for community service and played in the river. Most of the time was spent ‘herding’ minnows. The students were awesome at catching them! By the end of the afternoon, they had several ‘corrals’ full of little minnows.

Other fun activities over the summer included playing sports, swimming, creating power point presentations, journaling, reading and playing board games. (By the way, the 4th & 5th graders are great at checkers!)

Patsy Willoughby and Wilson Lemieux helped me immensely! I wouldn’t have made it through the summer without them.

I look forward to seeing great things from my class in the next 15 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment