Thursday, March 4, 2010

You are the Branch

I am the vine; you are the branch. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples. ~ John 15: 5-8

As a student at Texas Tech majoring in agricultural communications, horticulture is a required class. I’m amazed by how intricately God created the earth.

Grape vines are a great example of the verses from John. The vine provides support for the plant. It is rooted deep down, providing a solid foundation. From the vine stems the branches, which enable the plant to produce fruit. In order to be ‘fruitful’, the vine and branches must work together.

In examining my relationship with God, I’ve asked the following questions:
Am I a fruitful branch?
Is the fruit I produce good quality?
Have I been separated from the branch and am now trying to grow on my own?
And in my life, what areas need to be pruned?
Where do I spend time that is not productive?
Where does God want me to grow?

It isn’t always fun to face reality, but the great thing about the Bible is that there are answers to every problem. So how do we become a better branch in Christ?

In Galatians 5:22, it says, But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness and self-control.

Walking in love everywhere you go, shining God’s light to the family, friends and strangers you come in to contact with every day, and trusting in God and His will for your life are all ways to grow stronger in Him.

This week I challenge you to memorize the fruit of the Spirit. Write them on a note card and hang it on your bathroom mirror or carry it with you in your pocket. Reflect on what each one means and how to apply it to your every day living. Cherish these words in your heart.

Happy Trails & God Bless! To contact Kristen with questions or comments, email her at kristen_odom@hotmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment