Sunday, May 23, 2010

Class of 2010

Graduation is such a joyous time. It means change, freedom and a new chapter of life. College, for me, has been a huge learning experience as well as a huge opportunity to grow as a person.

In the two years I have been away from home, I have learned some very valuable life lessons.

You will make mistakes. I am a people pleaser and like to do things right the first time, so this has been a tough one to realize. However, I have figured out that sometimes I learn the best from those mistakes. Eleanor Roosevelt said, “Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself.”

Embrace diversity. A great thing about college is everyone is different- each person has different experience, different goals and different dreams. I love to find out what others are studying. Where would we be if everyone majored in Agricultural Communications? Just like our different abilities and talents with jobs, we all have a special place in the Body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12)

Call your family. Make time to visit with your loved ones, even if it is just to say a quick ‘hi’. Also with this one, I’ve learned that your relationships with them will begin to change. My brothers and I all get along great now and my parents and I have become really good friends.

Find a church home. As the body of Christ, we are not created to function completely on our own. We need community; we need fellowship. Test different on-campus ministries and find one that fits.

Go to class. Trust me, if you show up on time, make an effort and study, life will be much easier. Also, take the time to get to know your professors – not only can they help you out with letters of recommendation and future jobs, but some of them are pretty cool people.

And this leads me into my next point – Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Most little kids I know ask tons of questions, but guess what, they are learning! You will never know if you don’t ask.

And finally, Colossians 3:23 says, Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.

Happy Trails & God Bless! To contact Kristen with questions or comments, email her at kristen_odom@hotmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment