Thursday, October 28, 2010

Worldly Passions

I love everything about the cattle industry – I love the people, I love the lifestyle and I love the product! Up until this past January, my life revolved around cattle. All of my projects for my classes, my extra-curricular activities and my hobbies related to cattle and beef.

In January, at a small Bible study, we discussed our passions and what we spent the majority of our time focused on; it was easy for me to know my answer. I realized, however, that the cattle and my future career industry was #1 in my life, not God. Then, as a group, we discussed how God has to be our number one and the things we invest our time in need to reflect Him.

Exodus 20:4, part of the Ten Commandments, says ~ You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.

I prayed that night that with God’s help I would place Him as my number one and the cattle business where it needs to be.

The next week I was an intern for the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association at their annual convention in San Antonio. Normally, I would have soaked up every minute of it and been consumed by all the information. However, my heart wasn’t there.

Over the past 10 months, He has helped me overcome my captivation with the cattle business. I even got to the point where I didn’t want to hear anything about it cattle.

Before January, I didn’t think I could ever be happy with a job that wasn’t related to cattle and beef. But in the last month, I have come to peace about whatever God has in store me, whether it be in the industry or not.

And it’s ironic now because just this week I have had an opportunity come up with a cattle magazine, which I’m very excited about, but it’s not the same kind of worldly passion I used to have. I know that God’s hands are all over my work and I want to be a blessing through my writing whether it be religious based or about the cattle industry.

Shine God’s light everywhere you go and to everyone you meet.

To contact Kristen, email her at kristen_odom@hotmail.com or send a letter to The Wellington Leader, Attn: Kristen’s Corner, Box 992, Wellington, TX 79095.

Happy Trails & God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment