Friday, September 10, 2010

Count Your Blessings

Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him.

He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.

My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge.

Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge
. ~ Psalm 62:5-8

I love these verses! The key part I want to focus on is in verse eight – pour out your hearts to him.

On March 12, 2006, I started writing down three blessings every day. From that very first blessing, I can account for at least three things that God showed me every day through today.

I am soon to be on my fifth notebook and have moved up to an actual journal rather than a little 3x5 notebook. (I do still try to keep it fairly small to make it easy to take along wherever I go).

When I was younger, I had a hard time going to sleep at night. I would lie in bed reviewing my day and planning the rest of my week/month/year/life. I had so many thoughts running around in my head that I couldn’t slow it all down long enough to sleep peacefully.

How much more enjoyable is it to fall asleep thanking God for all the blessings – the people He crosses your path with, the healing that only He can bring, His beautiful creation all around us and the simple things in life – rather than worrying about the trials and tribulations that this life can bring? I choose a peaceful nights rest and growing closer to my Heavenly Father!

As I’ve gotten older and my relationship with God has matured, and so has my blessings book. Not only does it now include what I’m thankful for, but my prayers, my pleas to God and my joyful thanksgivings. They include prayer lists and love letters.

The journals hold all my ideas, hopes and dreams.

I encourage you, from the bottom of my heart, to start a blessings book. Begin by writing at least three things that God revealed to you that day. When you have a rough day it’s hard to go to sleep with a negative attitude after glancing through different ways God has poured out His love to you!

To contact Kristen, email her at kristen_odom@hotmail.com or send a letter to The Wellington Leader, Attn: Kristen’s Corner, Box 992, Wellington, TX 79095.

Happy Trails & God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment