Thursday, September 30, 2010

Goal VS. Mission

While taking a Strengths Test, I had to choose between the following: “I have a goal in life.” or “I have a mission in life.”

In the 20 seconds I had to decide, lots of thoughts ran through my mind. What is the difference between a goal and a mission? Is there a difference between the two?

According to dictionary.com, the following are the definitions for the two words:

Goal: the result or achievement toward which effort is directed; aim.

Mission: an assigned or self-imposed duty or task; calling; a sending or being sent for some duty or purpose.

So then I ask myself, “Do I have a goal in life, or do I have a mission in life”?

Overall in life, I want to be mission focused. I want to strive to do God’s will and follow His lead. I do, however, think it’s very important to have goals.

I had the goal of winning lamb, goat and pig showmanship my senior year and with tons of work, I did. However, I’m not a professional showman.

One of my current goals is to graduate from college, but just graduating with a bachelor’s degree isn’t my calling in life.

I believe that God has a purpose for each of our lives but how do we discover His path? We read His word and grow in our relationship with Him.

If you have not read The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren, I highly recommend it!

Warren goes through and answers the question “What on earth am I here for?” in a 40 day process.

In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who words out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, in order that we, who were the first to hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory. And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession – to the praise of his glory. ~ Ephesians 1:11-14

Shine God’s light everywhere you go and to everyone you meet.

To contact Kristen, email her at kristen_odom@hotmail.com or send a letter to The Wellington Leader, Attn: Kristen’s Corner, Box 992, Wellington, TX 79095.

Happy Trails & God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment