Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Follow Your Heart

My Freshman year of high school, I remember asking my best friend what I choice I should make. I don’t remember what the decision was about, but I do remember her answer – follow your heart.

Well, that wasn’t the answer that I was looking for, but it was good advice! That day I engrained that valuable piece of guidance into my life. Since then, I’ve even had the opportunity to offer her the same words of wisdom when she had more than one option.

The saying, ‘follow your heart’, turned into more of a joke between us for the past six years. It wasn’t until last semester, when I was tossing around the idea of pursuing my master’s degree, that I truly understood how to actually follow my heart.

I spent time praying because I believe that seeking God’s will is key, after all, He is the One who knows best! Then, I used the time walking to and from class to think. It isn’t necessarily a time of ‘peace and quiet’ but it is my special time to talk to God and listen.

In my mind, I thought through the scenario of going to graduate school, which would be somewhere other than Texas Tech. The thoughts of buying more books, needing more scholarship money, moving to another state and studying for two more years worth of tests overwhelmed me. My heart would start beating faster, my head literally felt heavy and it stressed me out.

Then I imagine myself completing my degree, graduating from college, finding a career, moving into a house and being an ‘official’ adult. A sense of peace would come over me and for a lack of words, my heart felt happy.

Now that I know how God directs me, making decisions with confidence is much easier. I do still have to be patient, however, in waiting for God’s timing and feeling engulfed with complete peace.

Let me outline the steps that I use, and encourage you to try them as well when you have a choice to make: 1) Pray – seek God’s guidance. 2) Be patient – His timing is perfect. 3) Think through your options – write them down on separate sheets of paper if necessary. 4) Follow your heart.

Psalm 37: 3, 4 says Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment